Thursday, January 24, 2013

The sad and the happy.

Way back last November I took an unexpected trip to California. Unfortunately it wasn’t the happy kind of trip, but a bittersweet visit so that I could attend my Uncle Byron’s funeral. My Uncle had been in poor health for years, and even knowing that when I received a text from my Mother that he was on life support I had to get up and walk out of Relief Society so that a room full of women didn’t see me crying. I learned the news on Sunday and was on a plane to California on Tuesday. I wouldn’t have missed his funeral for anything and wanted to be there for my family. The funeral was such a sad day and my heart broke for my cousins and my Aunt Jeni as I listened to all the funny stories and the tears flowed. He was a smart, funny, loved man and will be missed by so many!

On a happier note while I was in California I got to spend some memorable quality time with my parents in Reno, Nevada. We drove up that morning so we could drop Rebekah off at school and then hang out for the day until the UNR football game that night. What to do with a day to kill in Reno? Lucky for us my Mom had inherited some property in Silver Springs, Nevada about an hour away. When we arrived my Mom who had visited the property before warned my Dad to stay on the pathway because the ground was very soft. Well like all good warnings most are ignored and we were stuck. Not just a tiny bit stuck either, but stuck stuck! The front wheels are spinning and spinning, sand is flying everywhere, and the entire back of the car is lifted off the ground. No amount of digging is going to get us out. A note about this property, it is in the middle of nowhere and neighbors are few and far between. Also it was freezing this day! So after taking some photos to capture the moment my Mom and I set off to walk to the nearest neighbor. We were lucky he was home and had a truck to tow us out and give us a lift back to our car. Maybe you had to be there, but I’ll laugh about this for awhile. After we were pulled out of our predicament we spent the rest of our afternoon safely in the warmth of Scheel's department store and riding the ferris wheel. As far as the game that night, the band was excellent, the football team not so much. We left near the end of the third quarter when UNR was getting their trash kicked and I had officially lost feeling in my feet. Trust me we were prepared too. I was wearing like 5 layers, and we picked up some hand warmers earlier while at Scheels. Oh and I still look like a college student! Some random guy scalping tickets gave me a free ticket to get in, and I wasn’t even asked for an I.D. when I snuck into the student section to say goodbye to Rebekah. Woohoo, although not that surprised. Thanks for the good times Reno!

My sister the college student!

This picture doesn't even do it justice.

My poor Daddy doesn't look too happy here.

A not so great attempt.

Finding the humor now.

Lovely isn't it! Like I said middle of nowhere.



Way lifted off the ground.


A friendly neighbor.


The hole.


Nevada!

Freezing, but having fun!


I just love this picture of my Mom in her zip up blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment