Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Maine roadtrip with my 'main' squeeze!

Ignore the really bad play on words, I just couldn’t help it. Glenn and I were lucky enough to take advantage of a three day weekend and road-trip to Maine. I miss my family so much and it was nice to see my Aunt Sue! We left straight from work on Thursday and rolled into Maine at 12:30! This was not too late for hugs, chatting, and it was about another hour until we crashed in bed. This was the first visit to Maine for both of us and Sue made sure we saw all the touristy sites. Our first stop on Friday, the cemetery! Why you ask? My mother is obsessed with cemeteries and thinks everyone else is too, so we had to stop and take pictures for her.
This was my favorite part of the cemetery tour! I am such a romantic, and love sappy love stories. This man made arrangements before he died that his wife would receive 1 dozen red roses every month. Even in her death this lucky women has been receiving 1 dozen fresh red roses once a month since 1915!! Insert Awwww here!
Glenn being goofy! I get so excited anytime I see anything that says Fox, so a picture was a must. Think taking pictures on a stranger’s grave is wrong? They make funny pictures either way.

Second stop, Paul Bunyan! Apparently there is a huge debate on where Paul Bunyan is actually from. Veazie is one of those places that like to claim the famous lumberjack, and have a statue in his honor. If it’s nice and touristy I want a picture.
Next stop, Silkweeds. This was another place that my mom insisted we had to visit while in Maine. The second I walk in the door I am greeted with a warm hug from the store owner Lisa. I thought to myself, wow people in Maine sure are friendly. My mom has a knack for becoming really good friends with people even from 3000 miles away. My mom met Lisa on her last visit to Maine and had been texting her all morning asking if she had met her daughter yet. Lisa had the cutest shop filled with Christmas decorations and fudge. Glenn and I picked out our first Christmas decorations for our home. Lisa continued to prove that Maine kindness and would not let us leave without some fudge as a gift from her. When we left it was if we had been the best of friends forever.
The rain and the fact it gets dark about 4:00 cut our walk short. Rocky and Lexi were happy to be running around even if just for a little bit. The rest of the evening was spent relaxing in front of the fire and watching movies.
Saturday the sun decided to peek out, and we made our way to Acadia National Park. We were even able to tear Frank away from work to join us for the fun. Even with the leaves already fallen from the trees, Acadia was absolutely gorgeous! Clear skies are not a sign of warmth and it was freezing, we could only handle about 15 minutes outside at a time. I loved the sand beach. Something about the beach on a cold day is even more picturesque. I could have watched the waves build up and crash into shore forever if it wasn’t so cold.
Next stop on the Acadia Park loop was Thunder Hole. The water will crash so loud into the rocks that the sounds replicate thunder. Glenn proved what a little kid he is and just wanted to run around and jump all over the rocks. He nearly gave me a heart attack when he thought it would be fun to sit right on the cliffs edge.
Final stop was Cadillac Mountain, the tallest mountain on the East Coast. We had such an incredible view from up here, and that meant the winds were also really strong. You can see by how crazy my hair looks and our bright red noses.  

No trip to Maine is complete without some authentic clam chowda! We went to Geddy’s for lunch in Bar Harbor and were not disappointed.

Saturday night we went to a University of Maine hockey game! I love hockey, and personally think it’s the best sport to watch live. This was Glenn’s first live hockey game, and he is now hooked. Sadly Maine lost, 4-3, but it was such an exciting and close match that we still had a great time.

After two days of appreciating the beauty of Maine, and having a spectacular time with Sue and Frank, what could be better than relaxing in a hot tub. The hot tub relaxed me so much that I only made it about half way through that nights movie. 

We loved our Maine vacation so much and felt it was too quick that we had to leave. Thank you Sue and Frank for letting us and our puppies come spend the weekend with you. We love you and miss you already!
Vacations sure are tiring!

2 comments:

  1. I love the play on words. It's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my comment so you quit bugging me about commenting on your blog. I don't see any pictures of fishermen's daughters. I demand an apology, hand written, in triplicate.

    ReplyDelete