Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Next chapter, New York.

This California girl never imagined that she would ever wind up living in New York. I made a promise to Glenn while we were engaged that I would move with him anywhere, and upon finishing his Masters program he literally applied everywhere. Less than a week after we were married we gave a tear-filled goodbye to CA, packed up a tiny trailer with all our worldly possessions and our two small dogs and these Newlyweds moved to New Jersey. Upon arriving in NJ we knew it wasn’t for us. After a quick four month stint living in NJ we moved again. Glenn had been waiting on two job offers. One was in Peekskill, NY and the other in Columbia, MD. We missed being around friends and family and were really hoping that we would end up in MD. After a torturous waiting process and I am not exaggerating, we found out 36 hours before we moved that it would be New York. This was a major life lesson for me that the Lords plan and our plan don’t always match up. I honestly thought we would be living in MD and was heartbroken to learn it was NY.

I think anyone who has moved before knows that it’s never as easy as anticipated. I have never really had to experience this before, and let me say it is stressful! At 3:45 on Thursday we went to pick up our moving truck with confirmation in hand. Apparently our reservation didn’t matter because they had no trucks! Quick panic attack because we had to be out of our apartment the following morning. Well, after calling every rental truck place we had to drive 30 miles out of our way and wound up with a 26 Foot Trailer! Can you say a little excessive for a Newlywed couple that owns practically nothing? We arrived in New York the following morning like planned and the first thing I see when we walk in our new apartment is a giant hole in the kitchen wall. That was not there when we viewed the apartment. We spent a majority of the day just driving. From NJ to NY then back to NJ to return the truck and then back to New York. With all the stress leading up to the move and the actual move itself by the end of the day I was sick. Lucky for me I have the sweetest husband in the entire world. Glenn told me to go sleep and when I woke up he had all the furniture arranged and the entire kitchen unpacked. Happy wife! Through all the craziness I became even more and more grateful for my wonderful husband who handles stress much better than me. So here I am a New Yorker, and so far life is pretty good.

1 comment:

  1. Your mama told me NOTHING of this. I am seriously going to have to hurt some hides!

    How scary and yet exciting. Isn't it amazing how the Lord watches out for us and blesses at the same time. We, being human, stress and freak out. All the while, he knows what we need and where we should go.

    Can't wait to stay up with your blog and hear of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete